||Board Member for Northern Ireland and Chair of Northern Ireland Food Advisory Committee
|The Non-Executive Board Member will be appointed by and ultimately responsible to DHSSPS in Northern Ireland. Communications will normally be through the Chair of the FSA. The formal appraisal reporting line will be to the Chair of the FSA.
To contribute to the overall UK strategic direction of the FSA, and ensure the FSA carries out its duties effectively.
- Working with the Chair and other Board members in setting the strategic direction of the FSA, and ensuring the Agency discharges its statutory duties in line with the requirements to protect the public's health and consumer interests in relation to food;
- Ensure that the Executive Team is held to account and systems are in place to enable them to discharge their responsibility effectively, monitoring and challenging performance, finance and the management of risk;
- In reaching Board decisions, to present advice from the Northern Ireland Food Advisory Committee to the Board;
- With other members of the Board, to hold the Chief Executive to account for delivery of the organisation’s objectives;
- Taking a key role in representing the Board and the FSA in communications with key stakeholders;
- Act at all times in the public interest, not as a representative of the interests of any particular sector, and without regard to their own personal interests;
- Demonstrate commitment to the FSA and to its core values – and in particular to put the consumer first;
- Work to understand scientific advice (in the widest sense), argument and debate;
- Respect collective responsibility in relation to Board decisions – and respect confidentiality where necessary;
- Play an effective part in Board discussions and decisions, working for shared success.